True Raspberry Pi’s network speed
My Raspberry Pi 3B+ is reaching nearly exactly 20x (twenty times) slower upload and download speeds than any other PC or device attached via wire to the very same network / router:
As it turned out this is normal and expected due to several reasons.
Main hardware reasons are:
- Inexpensive and quite slow CPU on-board RPi
- Slow-speed data bus between CPU and the network interfaces
- Data bus is shared with other devices (USB) and becomes busy, if those other devices are active in the same time
Main software reasons are:
- Software that uses network occupies CPU by itself
- Test or actual software is written in a language that has poor performance on RPi’s CPU
If you need more information on the above then follow to this question or Raspberry Pi’s documentation.