Meet Tasker, a state-of-art automation tool for Android that can:
- turn on GPS when Google Maps starts; turn it off when Google Maps closes,
- show a list of your music apps when you plug in headphones,
- turn off pattern lock while on home WiFi,
- read incoming text messages aloud,
- even more,
- a lot of more,
- even a lot of more.
It isn't free (of course!). I costs... 5 bucks. But it is worth every damn cent spent on it!
And, if above is still not enough for you...
...then let me tell you that you can even create a standalone applications with it.
And since Tasker is not required after app creation process is completed, you can create your own mobile application without a bit of programming skills. And your app can be distributed or sold (e.g. on Play Store).
Some resources to consider:
- Tasker Wiki,
- Tasker website,
- Tasker tutorials,
- Tasker in Google Play,
- Tasker App Factory in Google Play,
- an offical Tasker forum at Google Groups.
An somewhat alternative to Tasker is Locale which is even more expensive and offers a way a lot less functionality, but can be used even on very, very old devices with Android 2.3.5 version -- which may be a key argument for some.