In all Windows versions prior to Windows 10 changing the network name was as easy as going to Network and Sharing Center and clicking network name. In Windows 10 it is way, way more difficult (reasons, Microsoft?) and you need to be system administrator in order to perform this.
If you wish to change network name (but not connection name, as these are two different things) then follow these steps (source):
- In Local Security Policy window, find and click Network List Manager Policies in the left pane.
- In the right pane double click on the network name that you want to change.
- In the Properties windows under the Name section make sure that Name is selected.
- Enter the name that you wish to use for your connection to the field below.
- Click OK to confirm the changes.
You might have to log in again or to restart your computer before the changes are applied.
Visit source for this post to learn about an alternative way of achieving this (i.e. using Registry Editor).